Google Alerts are a great way to monitor your online reputation, keep an eye on keywords you are looking at and monitor your links around the web. Another use of Google Alerts is to find linking opportunities and sites related to the theme of yours.
Google Alerts is one of the Google services that does not require a Google account to use but you can access it through after logging into your Google account.
This article covers how to create a Google alert without a Google account and after logging into your Google account.
What is a Google Alert?A Google alert is a notice sent to you from the Google alert system via email when Google has found an instance of the keywords you have setup to monitor. You can send this notice to any email address. It does not have to be a Gmail email address.
You set what areas of the internet you wish to monitor. It can be just news articles, just blogs, the web, a comprehensive report covering all instances, just videos or just groups.
The frequency that you receive your Google alert is set by you. The alert can be sent as Google finds the phrase, once each day or once a week.
In one session you are allowed to create up to ten alerts. Once confirming your alerts, you are allowed to create more. The maximum number of alerts you are allowed per email address is 1000 alerts.
- Go to the Google Alerts home page.
Over on the right is a series of boxes (form) to fill in.
- The top box is where you fill in what you want to be alerted about.
You can fill in your domain name, company name, keywords you want to monitor, or anything else you want.
- The second step is to select what type of alert you want.
Your choices are:
- Next is how often you want to be notified.
The choices for the frequency you receive your Google alert are:
- as-it-happens – Receive your alert as soon as Google finds an instance of your alert.
- once a day – As it says, you receive a Google alert email once a day. (selected by default)
- once a week – Again, as it says, you receive your Google alert email once a week.
- Email length is how many results in the emailed alert to you want at a time.
You have 2 choices:
- Only the best results
- All results
- The last box before submitting is for your email address you want the Google Alerts sent to.
Enter your email adddress in the box provided. It does not have to be a Gmail email address.
- Check over your selections.
- The last step is to left click the Create Alert button at the bottom of the form.
That’s it, you are done!
- Go to any Google page.
Up in the top right of most Google pages there is a link to log into Google. Left click it.
- Complete the sign in process to log into Google.
Once you do this, you will be taken back to the Google page you logged in from.
- Up in the right corner is a link called Settings. Beside the link is a down arrow which exposed some choices. Left click it.
Select the Google Account Setting option from the dropdown list.
- You are now in your Google account page.
Scroll down a bit to the Try something new section.
- Left click the Alerts link (it’s on the left side).
You are taken to the Google Alerts home page.
- The rest of the process is the same as described above under Create a Google Alert Without a Google Account starting at step 2.
The email portion of the form is already filled in with the email address associated with your Google account.